Sunday, September 4, 2011

Woo! Berry

Several years ago I heard the whisperings of the great Pinkberry.  At the time they were only in major cities like NYC, but some small town copycats soon surfaced. The first time I had the tangy plain yogurt with fruit toppings, that we currently identify as fro-yo, was at Juniper on Thayer St. in Providence, RI. At this point I was quite used to the sweet soft serve fro-yo that you can get at Greek pizza restaurants all over Boston. You watch them take a log of white and put a drill to it, and you get a one-size-fits-all pint.
Then the fro-yo craze came over like wildfire. In Boston you got your BerryLine (my personal fave), Berry Freeze, Mixx, Chill, Bubble Berry (now open in Allston) and even Pinkberry made it to Boston and Cambridge this year. There are even some rumblings about Tasti D Lite. Now Worcester has gotten in on the game, and they are doing an exemplary job.
WooBerry, located on the corner of Highland and West st. in Worcester, MA, has the most toppings available that I have seen to date. They have a good amount of frozen yogurt flavors, rotating about five or six, but it's the toppings that really impressed me.
They have about five different flavors of boba including lychee (yum!), and they offer locally farmed peaches from Massachusetts. They even have a menu of topping combination suggestions, named after the employees, and I assume concocted with their expertise. Seen in the image above, my bf and I got lemon fro-yo topped with orange flavored boba, and Dr. Gonzo's Gummie Bites. An eclectic combination, I know.
Let me tell you a little bit about the two toppings I mentioned. Though they are called boba, these little spheres are not what I would consider traditional tapioca balls. It was not the gummy, slimy, brown stuff you get in bubble tea, they are like giant fruit-flavored caviar. It's a thin membrane filled with juice. Nothing like I've ever had before. Different, and awesome.
Dr. Gonzo's Gummie Bites were given to me with some caution. Upon ordering them I was asked "Are you sure?" There were regular gummie bears on the menu, but I thought I would choose one I haven't had before. My boyfriend, Matt, a native of Worcester, informed me of Dr. Gonzo's Emporium of Uncommon Condiments. What we didn't know was the subtitle of this name (as you can see on the website) was All-Natural Mega-Spicy Emporium. So the clerk asked "Are you sure?" We said yes. The gummy bears were covered in chili powder. They had a nice slow burn, but it didn't linger, and eating them on cold frozen yogurt helped. Also, the citrus/chili combo was actually very appropriate. 
This frozen yogurt joint is not just a Pinkberry copy-cat; they made it completely their own. And once you thought it couldn't get better, all their bowls and spoons are bio-degradable. WooBerry guarantees a special and appetizing experience. I highly recommend it if you're in the Woo (Worcester). 

1 comment:

  1. In regards to Dr Gonzo's Gummi Bears, I thought the warnings from employees were a little much. I think they scare away a lot of people from getting them as toppings. The gummis may have been a too intense on their own (as they recommended trying a sample) but the froyo helps keep the spiciness from being out of control.

    ReplyDelete