Friday, May 23, 2014

I Ripped Off the Band-Aid and Watched Dear Zachary

"You still have children." says it all. It is a phrase that beautifully expresses what this film is about without giving too much away. I am glad that I am able to share it with you.
 
 

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father is a 2008 film directed and narrated by . I can't say too much without spoiling it, so I will be brief. It's a documentary about a man named Andrew Bagby and the immense wave of life and love that he spread over so many people. Production was between 2001 and 2003, but found footage dates back decades. Kuenne artfully edits in the old footage with the new, making humorous and also heartbreaking mirror imagery.
 
Some notes about Dear Zachary:
 
This film will make you grieve for someone you have never met.
 
It is a living and breathing project that took years to make and evolved in earth-shattering ways. 
 
It will open your eyes to how valuable a life is, and how life and death can be equally enormous.
 
This film will make you hate Canada. I know it sounds weird now - but trust me - you will.
 
It will show you how someone can go through hell and still go on living.
 
If you didn't know already, it will help you understand what it means to love a child.
 
You will cry.

That is all I am willing to divulge. IMDB might say more in the description, but if you haven't already read it or been told by someone else, just go straight from here to Netfilx and watch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment